When you visit 3rd South Dental, Dr. Andrew Theurer and Dr. Cameron Call will work with you to create an at-home oral hygiene plan that will help prevent periodontal disease and keep your smile healthy. We are committed to helping you enjoy a lifetime of good oral health. Call 3rd South Dental at 801-355-0380 to make an appointment with our dentists and learn more about gum disease prevention in Salt Lake City, Utah.
The best way to fight gum disease is to prevent it from developing. By preventing periodontal disease, you can enjoy better oral and overall health as well as avoiding the need for more extensive, invasive and expensive treatments to regain your oral health.
The first step to preventing gum disease and maintaining good oral health is to practice good dental hygiene at home. We recommend that you:
- Brush your teeth at least twice each day. We encourage you to brush your teeth after each meal and before going to bed at night.
- Floss daily. We recommend flossing before you brush your teeth and go to bed.
- Use an antibacterial mouthrinse.
- Make and keep regular dental appointments for routine preventive care. Regular dental exams and cleanings are crucial to diagnosing and treating gum disease as early as possible if it does develop.
You should also be aware that some risk factors may increase your chances of developing gum disease. These risk factors include:
- A family history of gum disease
- Poor dental hygiene
- Systemic health conditions (diabetes, heart disease, osteoporosis, etc.)
- Use of tobacco products, including smoking
If you have any questions about gum disease prevention or would like to schedule a consultation with our experienced dentists, please call our office and speak with a member of our team.